Grindu commune is located in the north-west part of Tulcea County, on the right bank of the Danube, area known under the name of “Cotul Pisica”, about 8 km downstream from Galaţi town. Pisica village, as it was called the locality in the past, goes through all the administrative-territorial reorganizations performed at national level over time, so that in 1937, according to the law from March 27, 1936, Pisica commune is part of Tulcea County, the Danube region with the residence at Galaţi, and in 1950 Pisica commune is part of Tulcea County.

Grindu commune is a settlement of people, from father to son mostly fishermen, that became, by will or by need, many of them farmers and animal breeders after the damming and draining of the marshes. Everything that happens in the village is linked to the boundless resources of the old river, the Danube. The stories, legends and memories of these people are one way or another, subjected to the great waters flowing for centuries on the edge of this locality.

Located in the south east of Romania and in the north west of Tulcea County, stuck to the Danube, the village is spread out along the great bend of the water, that only here forced its way to head to the sea. Cotul Pisicii, as it is known for centuries, means a right-angle bend of the Lower Danube. The water is constantly hitting the not too high shore, noiselessly and without too high waves.

Only the storms, rarely deviating in these places, or the heavy rains often threatening with floods the entire settlement, are the only ones disturbing, now and then, the smooth and silent course of the river.   The neighbors of Grindu commune are: to the northeast – The Danube (neighbor also  Moldova), to the southeast – Isaccea, Luncaviţa, I. C. Brătianu and Jijila.

Grindu locality was founded around 1700, the historical and physical-geographical factors being decisive for the settlement of the people here. In the Annals of Tulcea is specified that in 1750, in the area are registered in census 175 inhabitants, Romanians from Moldova, who left their native places refusing to pay the taxes imposed by the disposal of the time, finding on the sandbanks in the Danube Floodplain favorable conditions for life and the freedom desired. It is said that the old hearth of the village was established on Grindul Brăilei, a higher area bordering Gârla Brăilei, a branch of the Danube, navigable at the time, that shortened the road on waters between Brăila and Isaccea and was intensely navigated by the Turkish ships, ships that were often attacked and robbed by the inhabitants in the area. In fact it is said that they were the ones who laid the foundation of the hearth of Pisica village. In time, due to the frequent floods, the heart of the village was moved about 1 km southwards being the current locality of Grindu.

The old name of Pisica given to the locality it is said that it has its origin from the meandering shape of the Danube that it receives in this area, cat shaped, hence the name of Cotu Pisicii, and the second variant circulating, and which is also quite true, says that the first inhabitants found in these lands many wild cats and particularly aggressive. Wild cats could be met also in the forests of the area until the vast drainage, being one of the many species of animals inhabiting this habitat.    .

After obtaining the independence in 1877, those who were filled with glory during the fights were given land where they wanted. It is said that in those times the people in these regions went to their relatives in Moldova and urged them to settle in the places where they were. Thus it was founded a village with a more consistent population. The real evidence that people come from Moldova, are their names: Manolache, Pletea, Mogos, Cocu,Trişcă, names found in the Moldavian charters. The appropriation continued also after the two great conflagrations to which Romania took part and to which the inhabitants of the village Pisica brought their contribution of human sacrifices.

The recent history of the village includes also the legendary robber Terente who hid for a while also in these places difficult to reach.  In the area called Lăţime, where can still be spotted the pillars of the old bridge that was passing over the arm of the Danube, was robbed a priest who was passing with the carriage together with his daughter who was kidnapped by the legendary robber. The older villagers still remember even today of the hunt of Terente, for a long time, by the authorities through these marshes.  Furthermore, the locals talk about a tunnel under the Danube that only Terente knew it and used it.

Located in the northwest of the region of Dobrogea, in the former floodplain of the Danube now dried up and transformed into agricultural area, in Tulcea county, GRINDU locality is bordered to the north and west by the Danube River, to the east by Luncavita locality and to the south by Gravan village, component of Jijila commune. Until 1986, the relief of the area was one specifically deltaic, the landscape being dominated by the famous lake Crapina, this having around it a vast system of natural marshes and canals, fed by the waters of the Danube, this area along with the Great Island of Braila and the lake Brates, downstream of Galati municipality constituting the main basin of reproduction of the carp, an important species of fish , an emblem of the Danube Delta. After 1986 the area was heavily anthropized, the drainage transforming this natural setting into an agricultural area with a negative impact in all aspects, including the climatic one, the aridity being a characteristic of the area. Benefiting from a spontaneous vegetation, specific to the wetlands, willow and poplar forests, tens of hectares of reed and rush with fauna characteristic of this stage of relief and vegetation, after 1986 the forests disappear, these bordering only the Danube bank and the surface of waters and vegetation between the localities I.C. Bratianu – Isaccea are transformed into agricultural lands.

The roads inside the locality are most from earth except 2.2 km which are paved. The distance from the residence of the county, respectively Tulcea Municipality is of 90 km, the nearest town is Galati municipality located at a distance of 10 km from our locality and the nearest town in the county is Macin town which is at a distance of 30 km. The access from Grindu locality to Tulcea Municipality , Galati, respectively Macin town is made on the county road 22 that connects Grindu commune and the county road DJ22.

The local resource which is also the only one is represented by the arable land used for agriculture and the climate is temperate influenced by currents and winds from the north.

Referring to the folk costumes, Grindu commune does not have a particular characteristic, preserving elements of the Moldavian folk costume. The folk dances combine the specifics of Moldova with the one of Dobrogea ­: hora in two parts, sârba, geamparale etc..
Among the customs and traditions of winter we mention: carols with religious character, New Year wishes,  Pluguşorul, Steaua, Capra, Semănatul etc.
The wedding customs represent a specifics between the one of Moldavia and the one of Dobrogea: the wooing (the marriage proposal, made by the groom’s family); the beadlets (party at the bride’s house the day before the wedding); stealing the bride and putting a kerchief on the bride’s head; the payment of the grazing (when the young man marries a girl from another locality); little pies – fun after the wedding, where it is served pie, especially.
Another interesting custom, of Bulgarian origin is “Kaloianul” which is initiated by girls – by drawing lots is chosen the organizer called “Goghie”. In a bucket with water are placed different buttons from the participants; someone blindfolded extracts a button, and its possessor is “Goghie”.  Dolls made of clay or textiles are taken to the river and thrown into the waters, afterwhich they withdraw to the house of the ” Goghie”  where there is a party and is consumed especially a Turkish pie called “Ghizman”.

Due to the special natural conditions, the inhabitants have imposed their own economic and spiritual life, evidence being the old wooden church, that has over 125 years, and from 1882 there is clear evidence that here was functioning an elementary school. It is also one of the few villages that has a courthouse, its seal in original being at the current headquarters of Grindu Town Hall. Grindu commune comprises a single village with the same name.